[smart_track_player url=”http://media.blubrry.com/mysportsdpodcast/content.blubrry.com/mysportsdpodcast/jamie_mascari_meeks_mpg.mp3″ title=”Jamie Mascari Meeks” image=”https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/mysportsdconnect.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/20021419/Jamie-mascari-meeks-300-x-300.jpg” social=”true” social_twitter=”true” social_facebook=”true” social_gplus=”true” social_linkedin=”true” social_stumble=”true” social_pinterest=”true” social_email=”true” ]
Jamie Meeks, coordinator of LSU Sports Nutrition is a 2009 graduate from Louisiana State University with a B.S. in Nutritional Science (Dietetics). As a former LSU Cheerleader, Jamie had the chance to cheer for some of LSU’s greatest sport teams including the 2007 LSU Football National Championship team and the 2006 SEC Champions and Final Four Men’s Basketball team.
After graduation, she moved to Little Rock, Arkansas to complete her Dietetic Internship at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences. After receiving her Registered Dietitian (RD) license/registration, Jamie returned to LSU and completed her Master’s Degree in 2011 in Kinesiology with a concentration in Exercise Physiology.
Jamie is a Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) and is currently the Coordinator of LSU Sports Nutrition for athletics. She works to help integrate healthy choices and optimal fueling into the daily training routines for all 15 LSU’s sport teams. She provides individual counseling and Medical Nutrition Therapy that focuses on individual performance fueling strategies, hydration, and proper supplementation. Jamie offers team nutrition education sessions, home and travel meal management, body composition analysis, and eating disorder prevention and counseling. She also assists with the Athletic Training Table Meal, administering the food labeling system and working closely with the dining hall RD with menus and special dining hall events for the athletes.
In this podcast you will learn:
- Jamie’s job responsibilities with the LSU Tiger Athletic Department?
- The challenges college athletes face regarding nutrition?
- Specific patterns she looks for during a nutrition assessment that may warrant immediate action/intervention?
- Her approach with her bigger athletes who love to eat but need to maintain a healthy playing weight. How does she help them make better choices without taking foods they love out of their diet?
- How she educates a large student athlete base and what strategies she has put in place?
- Her unique packages of homemade nuts for the athletes to snack on and one that even has one specifically named after Coach Miles grass eating incident?
- The benefits of snacking for college athletes?
- A crazy superstition by former LSU pitcher and Orioles 1st round draft pick Kevin Gausman?
- Supplement use at the Collegiate level and what type of education protocols does she have in place to discuss supplement safety to prevent athletes from testing positive for a banned substance?
- Half-time nutrition and what strategies she has in place to help athletes refuel to have energy in the 2nd half?
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- Blog: healthytiger.blogspot.com
- Twitter: @HealthyTigerLSU
- Twitter: @JamieMeeksRD
- Facebook: HealthyTiger
- Instagram: HealthyTigerLSU
Other Related Resources
- Performance Nutrition for Cheerleaders eBook
- Meal Plan Guide for Athletes: Calculate your Caloric Needs
- Sports Nutrition for the Injured Athlete: On Demand Webinar
- What’s In a Healthy Snack: Blog Article